Things I’m thankful for today, January 12th.
- The people who help me. The senior developers on my
team who answer all my questions and push me to learn, Jessamyn for helping me become a better programmer, Austin for all his feedback, my mom (and her team) for having my back and being my team.
- The Star-Trek themed episode of Black Mirror. If you like Star Trek you must watch.
- The Praxis community. Last year when I joined Praxis, one of the things I did to start being active in the community was participate in a 5-month long reading of Atlas Shrugged. Earlier this week I was catching up with the people from that reading (Amanda, Ryan, Grant, James) and I was reminded of just how much that 5-month long reading really made my 2017 so great. Thankful for all the cool things going on in Praxis that I’ll get to join this year.
- Getting into Yoga. The other month I enrolled in this course by Amanda Kingsmith. I felt hooked and for almost two months now I’ve been practicing. People like Amanda and my little sister have helped me get into this and every day I feel more calm.
- The Creamy Maguro Roll. My favorite sushi roll. It takes like cream cheese and snow crab and magic.
- My mastermind group. Super lucky to have my mastermind group with Billy, Michael and Ernest. We go over our programming goals, career goals, etc and help hold each other accountable.
- Sticking to my Deep Work habits. I’m obsessed with the points Cal Newport makes in Deep Work. So this year, instead of just talking about how his ideas are cool, I’m implementing them into my life, after figuring out what works for me. It’s been a huge change and I’m really committing to it.
- Long walks while listening to podcasts. Each day when I’m done working I take a walk and listen to a podcast. It’s addicting and so relaxing, my reward to myself. What do you recommend I listen to?
- Time with these people. I’m so happy about all the cool people I get to be around this month. I decided the other month to reach out to every person I really wanted to spend time with and make it happen. Talking to the Scheiners about exciting technology, hangouts with my co-workers, planning a girls night in Pittsburgh with Lydia, HP, Hannah, a long conversation with Devyn about Star Trek and meaning. Reaching out to people who I used to know or want to know and actually seeing them: Gina, Chanel, Melissa, Kevin, Bianca, Chandler, Erica, Rachel, Jackson, Rebecca. Lucky me.
- Karaoke with family. This is a thing now. Doing my Britney Spears impersonation in front of strangers but not caring because my family was roaring with laughter. My phone is full of videos of my parents singing Amy Winehouse, my sister and cousin doing Lana Del Ray songs and my little sis doing an adorable Tangled song.